Q: Should a meta description contain keywords only or it should be in sentence format? If it has only keywords, do we have to add commas to separate?
A: In general, a meta descriptions should be short phrases written with the motive to compel a person to click. In personal, I do not recommend a string of keywords and commas. It should rather have a focused pitch, the one with relevant keywords. I would suggest you to do search for high volume keywords and also view the source of the top ten sites to see their meta descriptions. You will see most of the descriptions written as good ad text and that’s the approach you should take.
Remember, you are writing it for humans and not for search engines. So make it attractive and clickable.
Meta descriptions and meta tags are often overlooked when SEO is being optimized. Some website owners give enough thought to the importance of both while optimizing their websites for decent SERP rankings, yet many neglect them as they aren’t mandatory in boosting ranks on search engines (SERPs). However, recent research has shown that these crucial pieces can greatly boost organic traffic rates by increasing CTRs. The new practices put emphasis on providing a more appealing description with keywords from your niche.
Anyway, you can’t get effective SEO outcomes from meta descriptions unless you create and optimize those strategically. Most website owners remain doubtful about whether they should create meta descriptions using keywords only or not. This article will give you a compact suggestion about creating meta descriptions in the best way.
What meta descriptions actually are
Meta descriptions are the descriptive snippets containing 150-160 characters that you may find under a website’s listing in the search results. Such a snippet offers an insight into the origin website’s content to the users by summarizing the content. In short, a website’s meta description lets users know about the types of content that the website includes. They should be light and friendly, not full of heavy content or too much jargon.
HTML 5 includes meta description tags and SEO practitioners attempt to get the most out of these tags. If you’re planning to launch your first-ever website, accurate creation and implementation of meta descriptions will be immensely helpful for your website’s reach.
Why should you focus on creating and implementing meta descriptions?
Most website owners question the relevance of meta descriptions for SERP ranking. To be specific, meta descriptions have nothing to do with SEO ranks. Your website’s meta descriptions are not associated with the promotion or demotion of your website’s SEO rank. However, that doesn’t prove meta descriptions worthless. If you’re keen on getting organic reach, meta descriptions are the most reliable factors to make that possible. Let’s have a quick glance at the vivid benefits of meta descriptions-
- CTR or Click-through rate is a significant factor related to a website’s web traffic. An optimized meta description showcases the origin website’s intent in brief to users. That’s how a meta description channelizes users’ attention to the main website content. Naturally, the CTR of your website is bound to increase with the prompt implementation of meta descriptions.
- As more users are driven towards your website by catchy meta descriptions, your website’s conversion rate increases automatically. Increased conversion rates result in a massive increase in your website’s sales ratio.
- Accurate placement of keywords in the meta descriptions helps your website grab the attention of the targeted audiences. That’s how attracting increased web traffic becomes way more effortless for you.
To be specific, the meta descriptions are your website’s first impressions on the visitors and targeted audiences. Engaging meta descriptions offer affirmative results in terms of driving users towards your site. That’s how you can convert the potential leads into sales.
How important are keywords for meta descriptions?
Visit any established or reputed website, and you will find that the keywords are bolded in the site’s meta description. Keywords are extremely significant while you’re creating meta descriptions for your website. Google doesn’t focus on keywords in meta descriptions for SERP ranking, but keywords are still relevant and effective.
You should conduct in-depth keyword research to take down the most searched keywords related to your website content. Once you list out the most searched organic keywords, you’re supposed to place those in the meta descriptions. That way, you make your website more attractive and appealing than other websites in the search results.
Suppose a user puts in a specific keyword while searching for something related to your website content. Now, if you have input the most-searched keywords in meta descriptions and bolded those, the user finds those keywords easily. In such a case, the user is bound to prefer your website over other sites as he finds his searched keyword in your meta description.
An appropriate and prompt application of research-backed keywords satisfies the intention of users. So, refraining from using keywords in meta descriptions won’t be an ideal SEO strategy for you.
Should meta descriptions be loaded with keywords, or those should be in sentence formats?
This is a tricky question and this has no straightforward answer. Keywords are irreplaceable in terms of making meta descriptions effective, but keywords can’t offer results single-handedly. If you stuff meta descriptions with multiple keywords and don’t make it crisp, you might not generate the desired traffic. Besides including keywords in meta descriptions, you should also focus on creating meaningful and engaging sentences for those descriptions.
If you don’t form meaningful meta descriptions, users might look for other websites to resolve their queries. However, creating meaningful sentences doesn’t mean that you should disclose everything through meta descriptions. Meta descriptions aren’t supposed to be oversized or long, otherwise, they will lose their significance.
According to the most famous and popular SEO websites, meta descriptions should consist of short, picky sentences having interesting tones along with research-backed keywords.
How to create effective meta descriptions for your website?
Meta descriptions can deliver unbelievable SEO results when written in effective manners. The more lively you make meta descriptions, the more users will get attracted to your website. Now, how do you determine whether you’ve written your site’s meta descriptions properly or not? Here we are sharing some effective tips to create prompt, and powerful meta descriptions-
- Though the ideal length for meta descriptions is subjective, a meta description shouldn’t exceed the limit of 160 letters. Otherwise, it becomes problematic to place meta descriptions under HTML tags properly.
- Study the meta descriptions of your competitor websites to analyze the tricks they’re adopting in terms of creating meta descriptions. Don’t imply the same techniques that they use, rather try focusing on creating something out-of-the-box.
- Crafting your website’s meta descriptions in a specific and to-the-point manner will be a plus point. Including irrelevant or excess information in meta descriptions is strictly avoidable. Such things leave negative impacts on users’ minds. Be precise and express what you exactly want to say through meta descriptions.
- Representing your site’s meta descriptions with a powerful verse is the key to convert those into more efficient ones. You should stick to a specific pitch while demonstrating your meta descriptions via your website. Also, the meta descriptions should carry the reflection of your website’s content in an ideal manner to impress audiences.
- Attempt to structure meta description with a call-to-action tone so that the users feel energized to visit your website content.
You can’t win the SEO battle without a friendly tone of voice. On one side, you should include informative and interactive sentences in your writing to draw readers’ attention. Furthermore, including organic keywords is critical for attracting more traffic from search engines like Google. So it’s important that your website has meta descriptions with balanced innovative sentence structures combined with organic keywords–which will help build rankings on SERP (search engine result pages).
Explore the award winning services of PageTraffic that puts you in the search engine spotlight.
- SEO Services – Search engines have become rigidly stringent and the competition is doing all it can to move up. However, we snatch the top positions for you.
- Full Time SEO Consultant – The modern mantras of growth are streamlining and strategizing. Hire an expert full time SEO consultant to manage and take care of both.
- SEO Reseller – Expand your client base and service offerings with our private label SEO reseller partnership.